Software Engineer - Machine Learning
Petuum is seeking outstanding PhD-level engineers in machine learning, distributed systems, deep learning, natural language understanding, and other related fields. You will be part of a team of world-class engineers, designers, and scientists, working together to democratize the building and deployment of AI and Machine Learning systems. You will have ownership over the projects you work on and have the flexibility to influence the design and execution of your team’s work. A hard-working entrepreneur spirit is highly valued and rewarded in the company.
- Design, implement and evaluate new models and software prototypes to solve problems in machine learning and systems.
- Provide software design and programming support to machine learning projects.
- Implement and evaluate machine learning algorithms.
- Report and present software developments including status and results clearly and efficiently both internally and externally, verbally and in writing.
- Architect and implement software libraries.
- Masters in Computer Science or related fields.
- Good grasp of ML fundamentals.
- Experience with implementing machine learning algorithms in Python or C++ with the desire to learn new machine learning techniques.
- Good knowledge of algorithm design and software engineering.
- Experience with implementing numerical methods and data visualization.
- PhD in machine learning, systems, computer vision, natural language processing, neuroscience or computer science.
- Relevant experience to the position such as post-doctoral roles, a proven track record of publications in relevant fields.
- Contributions to open source projects.
Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning
Petuum, Inc. seeks a Senior Software Engineer (Machine Learning) in Sunnyvale, CA responsible for providing engineering leadership, guidance, and direction with respect to the design/development and implementation of new machine learning (ml) platforms, models, and prototypes in support of the development of Petuum's next generation artificial intelligence (AI) software product(s).
- serving as a technical lead on the machine learning (ML) engineering team with respect to the design, implementation and evaluation of new ML software models
- defining and ensuring adherence to the ML product development strategy, standards, policies, tools and procedures during the entire software development life cycle
- driving quality practices, standards and metrics to achieve high levels of service availability and customer satisfaction; (iv) ensuring that ML projects, department milestones, and goals are met while adhering to approved budgets
- developing, implementing, and enhancing statistical/ML algorithms for integration into software development projects; (vi) designing machine learning methods for specific applications, using bias-variance tradeoff, exploration/exploitation and various model families (i.e., Neural Net, decision trees, Bayesian models, LSTM, instance-based learning, association learning, and deep learning algorithms)
- developing software algorithms in accordance with customized ai solutions
- implementing numerical methods and data visualizations into software prototypes
- building software code architectures for implementation across various software development projects
- architecting, maintaining, and updating software libraries (i.e., Kmeans, MLR, and C++), numerical methods, and data visualizations
- facilitating the code review process and mentoring junior software engineers (ML) with respect to the same
- keeping abreast of emerging ml technology trends and reporting on/presenting cutting-edge software developments to cross-functional engineering and product management teams to ensure the integration of market-specific product designs.
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Data Informatics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a directly related field plus five (5) years of experience in a related position.
- Five (5) years of experience designing/developing software, building scalable systems, and managing software development teams, including five (5) years with each of the following: (i) UNIX OS; (ii) C, Java, or Python; and (iii) relational databases
Software Engineer - Full Stack
Petuum is seeking full-stack software engineers to develop the next generation platform in artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML). Full-stack engineers will build services that control distributed AI computation on 10s to 1000s of machines. You will be part of a team of world-class engineers, designers, and scientists, working together to democratize the building and deployment of AI and Machine Learning systems. You will have ownership over the projects you work on and have the flexibility to influence the design and execution of your team’s work. A hard-working entrepreneur spirit is highly valued and rewarded in the company.
- Build fast and robust software for distributed AI/ML, including: intuitive user interfaces, high-performance distributed systems, and highly-available cloud services.
- Work together with multiple teams to deliver a series of next generation AI/ML products.
- Keep up with the latest in cloud computing, distributed systems and machine learning.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or related technical field) or equivalent practical work experience.
- Preferred experience in at least two of the following disciplines: machine learning, cloud computing, web technology, distributed systems, development infrastructure.
- You are a fast learner who thrives on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to our rapidly evolving business environment.
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You write clean code, test thoroughly, and care about the user. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- You are a team player and are eager to help shape the culture of a small team that will be the foundation of something big.
Senior Software Engineer - Full Stack
Petuum is seeking experienced full-stack engineers to lead the development of frontend and related services of a large-scale AI/ML operating system. You will be part of a team of world-class engineers, designers, and scientists, working together to democratize the building and deployment of AI and Machine Learning systems. You will have ownership over the projects you work on, and have the flexibility to influence the design and execution of your team’s work. A hard working entrepreneur spirit is highly valued and rewarded in the company.
- Architect, design, and implement frontend UI and related services using Angular (2+), Node.js and other backend languages (e.g. Go, Python, C++, and Java etc.).
- Write efficient, reusable, testable frontend and backend components and services delivered as Docker container images.
- Learn quickly about AI & ML concepts and workflows.
- Work with product managers and designers to build new features.
- Lead development of features with cross-functional teams.
- Mentor junior engineers in the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related technical field) or equivalent practical work experience.
- 8+ years of full-stack development experience.
- Good understanding of componentized MVC architecture (and its variations) in modern SPA frameworks.
- Good understanding of microservice architecture, version control, and CI/CD process.
- Good proficiency with one or more backend languages or environment (e.g. Go, Node.js, Python, Ruby, C++, and Java etc.).
- Experience leading the development of full-stack UI and services for production software.
- You feel ownership over everything you ship. You practice and preach writing clean and robust code with good documentation and proper test coverage, are thorough in design and code reviews.
- You care about end-to-end security and user experience.
- You thrive on learning new technologies and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to our rapidly evolving business environment.
- You are a team player and are eager to help shape the culture of a small team that will be the foundation of something big.
- Excellent communication skills.
AI Solutions Engineer - Industrial & IoT APC/MPC
Petuum is seeking a high-performing AI Solutions Engineer to work at the cutting-edge of our Industrial IoT solutions business to solve complex and distributed IoT business problems using the Petuum platform. You will be required to design and implement advanced application solutions, deploy existing Petuum IoT product suite applications, and work with Petuum engineering and solutions team to build new state-of-the-art solutions on Petuum IoT platform. This role is very hands-on and requires a combination of a strategic solutions-oriented mindset, top notch communication skills, ability to adapt to changing customer conditions and strong implementation skills.
You will work closely with customer’s operations, IT, and center-of-excellence data science teams to demonstrate the capabilities of Petuum platform, and architect Petuum IoT solutions that will include high-volume, high-frequency, distributed, unstructured and real time datasets. Data Science and high quality ML models are core to Petuum IoT solutions and you will be required to maintain both conversational and technical competency in these areas.
- Engage directly with customers to design and develop applications & solutions based on the Petuum IoT platform.
- Lead and be an integral part of high-performing and stellar customer-facing Petuum IoT teams including data scientists, integration and application engineers, product managers and industry leads in the delivery of production-ready Petuum IoT solutions with customers.
- Become an expert in the Petuum IoT platform and associated tools to enable and assist customers to build their own applications.
- Design, develop and maintain demos using Petuum IoT platform.
- Conduct Petuum IoT platform and application demonstrations and training for both internal and external audiences.
- Participate in all appropriate product, sales, procedural training and certification to acquire and maintain knowledge necessary to be effective in the position.
- Convert firsthand customer and market experience into impactful input to our product direction and strategy
- The ideal candidate will have an engineering degree with a strong background in Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence and be able to clearly present abstract concepts in an easy to understand manner. You should be able to work in a fast-paced GTM environment and be goal-oriented.
- You are an excellent and confident communicator and enjoy working closely with cross-functional teams. You thrive in high-growth, fast-paced environments and are comfortable wearing multiple hats when necessary. You are very comfortable in discussing and presenting to both at the customer executives and at the plant engineer level.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science (or related field); advance degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience building enterprise applications or in an enterprise technical sales support role.
- Experience with manufacturing and IIoT software tools like OSIsoft PI System, AspenTech IP.21, Honeywell PHD, and other MES and historians.
- Experience in working with customers to develop or deploy new business solutions
- Experience with relational databases (any vendor)
- Experience with development or implementation of enterprise and/or cloud software; machine learning or IIoT preferred.
- Strong organizational and troubleshooting skills with attention to detail
- Strong analytical ability, judgment and problem analysis techniques
- Ability and flexibility for frequent domestic travel to customer/prospect sites and field events (trade shows, seminars, etc.)
- Previous startup experience.
- Programming experience.
- PaaS, SaaS, IaaS and business intelligence/analytics implementation experience are a plus.
- Previous experience with customer deployment of PI System for advanced analytics at Manufacturing, Utilities and Industrial IoT customers.
- Domain expertise in certain key industries (Oil & Gas, Utilities, Process and Discrete Manufacturing, Healthcare, and Industrial IoT) is a strong plus.
- SAP and Maximo experience.
Manager - DevOps
Petuum is seeking a DevOps manager that has passion for delivering Petuum’s innovations quickly to our customers and with the best quality possible.
You are an experienced “hands-on” technical leader who will manage our software tools, hardware and computing resource (both on premises and in cloud) for development and own the continuous integration, delivery and deployment (CI/CD) process and automation. You will hire, mentor, and coach employees to develop a best-in-class DevOps team. The focus is to ensure fast delivery of Petuum’s products and with the best quality possible. You will help to build a DevOps culture with our engineers and continuously drive for high efficiency to serve our customers better. If you are a self-starter that thrives working in new technologies to drive innovation and discovery, you should join our team.
- Manage tools and engineering infrastructure (both hardware and software) to support our development environment.
- Drive improvements so that we can test, release and deploy complex, large scale distributed system quickly.
- Own the validation and compliance stage to satisfy our customer’s needs in security and compliance.
- Plan and execute complex integrations and deployments for high profile customers.
- Provide the infrastructure-as-code needed to maintain multiple development/test/stage/production environments.
- Hire, mentor, and coach employees to develop a best-in-class DevOps team.
Work with engineering teams to influence software development best practice and leverage new tools and infrastructure to build repeatable solution and drive for innovation.
- Strong analytical and effective communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical work experience.
- 7+ years of industry experience and worked on enterprise software testing, automation and infrastructure. 1-2 years managing a DevOps/SRE team.
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and the software development lifecycle.
- Strong understanding of Agile models and methodology.
- Expert in scripting (Bash, PowerShell or similar languages).
- Proficient with source code management tools (Git or similar)
- Ability to design and support CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins or similar)
- Familiarity with docker containers and Kubernetes technology.
- Exposure to infrastructure-as-code frameworks such as Terraform and CloudFormation preferred.
- Experience with managing or developing or deploying highly-available and distributed software system with multiple repositories preferred. Experience with web-based API/restful services preferred.
We're also hiring for our CASL Open Source team. See those roles here.